Monday, June 29, 2015

Happy Monday from Galveston Island!



It's Monday so I thought I'd blog about my time at the beach last Friday. I love the beach. I love the shhhhh of the waves, the pounding presence of the sun, the annoying yet inviting sand, the little treasures on the shore, all of it! It just so happens, though, that I conveniently live in central Texas... Which means actual, authentic beach experiences are infrequent. The closest set up we have is Galveston Island, but hey it's a beach! I'm still in love. 



My baby sister and I made the four-ish hour drive to Galveston early Friday morning. We have Moody Gardens passes that expire in August so this summer we are trying to use them to their fullest. Our first stop was the Aquarium at Moody Gardens. 



 Our next stop was the Rain Forest Pyramid. This is one of my favorite places at Moody Gardens because of the butterfly section. I love butterflies. I always brag on them when people look at me like I'm a little girl for liking them. Monarchs can fly from Canada to Mexico. Can you do that??? Didn't think so.
I was just so satisfied to sit there and marvel at these incredible creatures. 

The next thing to do was check into our hotel BUT I screwed up the booking. We were supposed to stay a night but our plans changed. We just shrugged our shoulders and readjusted our mindset to enjoy the day as well as we could. Then... We headed to the beach!!!!

So here is my Galveston secret. We never go to the beach on Galveston Island anymore. The island is cool for doing touristy things but for chilling at the beach? Eh. We like to go to Bolivar Peninsula instead. There you can drive up on the beach (after you purchase a $10 beach pass at local stores) and pick a spot to hang! You have to take a ferry to the peninsula and sometimes it's busy, but it's always worth it to us. Plus the ferry ride is a fun experience! 

After we got our pass (and I got some drinks) we chose our spot on the beach and enjoyed all the fun things. It was a great day. 
One of the other pluses about Bolivar is that there are plenty of shells on the shore to collect. We love shells. Although the Gulf of Mexico isn't one of the prettiest or cleanest seas, it has a special place in my heart. I still thank the Lord for it :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think with a comment!