Sunday, December 4, 2016

Mini Backpacking Adventure - Goodwater Loop, Georgetown TX

"The Good Water loop of the San Gabriel River Trail at Lake Georgetown is a 28 mile trail that passes through dense Oak/Ashe Juniper forest, bottomland hardwoods and prairie grasslands. The trail extends from Booty's Road Park operated by the City of Georgetown to Overlook Park and completely circles the lake. Careful planning is encouraged before going for a hike."

Lake Georgetown has a quaint and well-maintained trail that follows around the body of water, known as the Goodwater Loop. It's not a foreign concept to hike the full loop. You can find the adventures of some of the 'thru' hikers here.

One of the great aspects of this trail is that you can spend nights on it for free! There are four primitive campsites along the trail, and the whole of the trail is full of beautiful views of the lake, waterfalls, streams, and woods.

Obviously, anyone can plan their own trip. Click here for a link to the trail map and trail rules. I'd love to do this mini-adventure with others, and I'm opening the conversation for ideas! The possibilities are literally endless. Here are some of my thoughts:

  • A beginner backpacking trip for those interested in exploring the outdoors out of their backpack but are nervous and unsure of how to begin.
  • A leadership trip for those who want to lead backpacking and desire to gain more skills in the outdoors plus working with people and groups.
  • A general for-fun meet-up for those who just love pocketing new trails.
  • An educational trip to learn details of the flora and fauna of the trail/area and other basic facts about natural resources.
  • ALL/AND/OR of the above! Combined, multiple trips, etc.!
No matter what type of trip(s) it ends up being, we would be doing trash clean up for the entire trail and practicing Leave No Trace. These ideas stem out of the motivation to love my local area. My journey back to my hometown of Georgetown was not planned, and I'm determined to make the most of my time here (and I already am!)

I'm also an ambassador for a state park (Mother Neff State Park in Moody!) and I'll be writing on what that means and what I'm doing with that very soon! You'll find me at state parks the minute I have the chance. (This is just FYI, for those who are tracking my nature adze

It's a fun ambition, to love my local and state natural areas. I want you to do the same! So.....if you are interested in any of the above, SEND ME YOUR FEEDBACK! Facebook, Instagram, text, email - I want to hear from you.

I can't do it alone. OKAY, technically I could. What fun would that be?? Anything goes, so don't hesitate to send me whatever type of idea or thought you have!

Meanwhile, here are some beautiful photos of the loop:









No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think with a comment!