Tuesday, June 6, 2017

5 Things I Learned as a Female Backpacker - Great Smoky Mountains Backcountry

Catching my breath at this breathtaking rest stop.

In May, I spent one night front country & three nights backcountry with two other women at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (Tennessee section).  This trip started when Julia called asking if I wanted to backpack with her as part of her end-of-college celebration before starting a new job. Of course I said yes! Then we did it. Here are 5 of the 100+ amazing things I learned along the way:

1. All-female backpackers get more hype than all-male backpackers.


Gender-borders aside, people were a lot nosier and generally shocked to see three women (all NOT in college) alone in the backcountry. Perhaps it's the area included, but the amount of attention we received from simply being who we were in nature was a lot. Too much. Yet the river is constantly changing. The general gender dynamic provided opportunities to encourage other females outdoors in the same capacity as us and to encourage males in supporting women who also enjoy the sport (backpacking is an extreme sport, btw).


This. This was everywhere.

2. Nature is a safe space to open up.


We each learn this in our own way, and I learned it in a new way out in the Appalachians. When you go outside, your entire mind and body has freedom to be stretched and used in ways most natural to us (yet most distanced from us with our modern lifestyles). You use your muscles naturally on trail. Your mind finds freedom to wander to those deep places inside of you when you step outside. You are safe in the wild. As ironic as it seems, we found ourself going deeper about some hard parts of our lives, simply because there was safety and space for it. When you're walking miles and miles to your next sleeping grounds with your entire home on your back, you learn a lot of new things about yourself.

Jess & Julia crossing the creek.

3. Ultralight backpacking is a thing for a reason.


As much as we were prepared (in the safe sense of the word), we had plenty of things to learn. One thing we learned very quickly was lighter packs are where it is! We gained a new sense of motivation towards ultralight backpacking skills, some of which I hope to share with you in the near future!
For reference, ultralight backpacking seeks to minimize impact on the earth and on our bodies by having everything necessary for survival at the smallest weight possible. With a lighter pack, the body and mind has more freedom in the wild!

Julia's view on Mt. Cammerer. She was the only one brave enough to reclimb mountains for this.

4. Females rock!


I found so much strength and encouragement from Jess and Julia as I traveled up and down mountains. Everything from packing the night before, to the car ride, to the backcountry campsites was made extra unique by my girlfriends and their own wonderful personalities. I love traveling with feminine energy, especially when it comes to surviving and thriving. (I do not mean my words in any sexist way. I'm speaking of natural things in nature, and that is all). We had a lot of moments where we messed up, got off schedule, changed plans - and inside of the entire journey, we chose to be pure in love and compassion in our responses. What an honor to explore this way.

Julia atop Mount Cammerer!

5. Would 10/10 do this again!


Over and over! One of the biggest things I learned is how much I truly enjoy teaching people how to backpack for their first time (Jess) and learning how to do things better and better. If you're interested in organizing a trip with me, please let me know! I include teaching how/what/why to pack and outdoor skills (LNT, first aid, etc.). Nature does most of the teaching. I'm along for the ride.

Jess doing morning yoga at our front country campsite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think with a comment!