Sunday, February 28, 2016

She Is

She is the comfort in the night
When all the day's tarrying toil melts into the sea of sheets 
She is the peace in the morning
When the soft sunlight nudges me into wakefulness 
She is the kiss on the forehead 
When I do something hard for the first time and make it through
She is the steady presence
That never once failed to meet me where I am 
She is the open door
When the rest of the world has shut me out for the night
Her welcoming light wraps me up
In the most nonjudgmental folds of sweet, sweet love 
She is the laughter that picks me up 
When I've fallen into puddles of embarrassment 
And she sheds her coat without hesitation 
To dry me off
And restore my beauty
She speaks to me in the pew
Surrounded by my fellow broken family
And she smiles as we stumble over old hymn lyrics
Peering into each of our aching hearts and joining our chorus of pain and ambition
Infusing our timid voices with harmonies of hope
She is the giver of the perfect song
To help me out of a depressed slump
She is the blanket in my closet
When the depression stays a while
I hide in her patterned arms
And she doesn't make me feel dirty
Or unwhole
Or pathetic 
Or low
When I can't find the strength
To meet the day 
She is grace from the trees
When the white petals of new spring blossoms float around
She is in the breeze 
As those petals take home on my eyelashes 
As they meet the ground beneath my feet 
She is the grace in the evening
The flame that takes the candle wick
And accompanies me through the loneliness 
She is all the controversial statements that the rest of the world runs from because she isn't afraid to challenge my small human perception of this one life I get to live
She will never fit into the box of any language
Yet here she is
With me
In me 
She is in the eaves of my soul
She is in the dancing 
The weeping 
The laughing
Of my being
She is in the soft paw of the fox
That roams in the night
She is in the rushing waterfall
That kissed my hair
She is in the soil
From which the flowers grow
And the worms make home
She is love
She is my God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think with a comment!